Wisley Gardens Rockery.

The Rock Garden was the first major project carried out at Wisley. Designed by Edward White, construction was started in 1911 by James Pulham & Sons and it was finished in 1912. It was such a major engineering project, using large blocks of selected Sussex sandstone, that it required the construction of a light railway to haul stone from the nearest road (now the A3) through what is now the Fruit Field to the Rock Garden.